Press Releases

Notice on teacher certificate applications from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan residents issued by three ministries including MOE


In accordance with the Opinions of the CPC Central Committee and State Council on Teacher Workforce Advancement in the New Era and the Notice of the General Office of the State Council on the Application for and Issuance of Mainland Residence Permits for Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Residents, the Ministry of Education (MOE), the State Council’s Taiwan Affairs Office and Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office recently issued a joint Notice on the Application for Primary and Secondary School Teacher Certificates by Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Residents, with a view to aligning treatment of applications from these three regions with the mainland.

The notice states that residents of Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan (HKMT) studying, working or living on the mainland may apply to take the primary and secondary school teacher certification exams on condition that they abide by the Constitution of the People’s Republic of China and Chinese laws, support CPC leadership, and demonstrate their resolve to follow the Party’s education policies. To apply, candidates must provide proof of a valid mainland HKMT residence permit, mainland travel permit for Hong Kong and Macao residents, or 5-year mainland travel permit for Taiwan residents. Applicants are also required to meet degree requirements in the Teacher Law of the People’s Republic of China and demonstrate a command of Putonghua in line with the applicable standards developed by the National Chinese Language and Character Working Committee. Other requirements and procedures for and supporting documentation required of HKMT applicants will now be the same as for mainland Chinese candidates. Applications from HKMT residents having majored in teacher education at a mainland university will be subject to the relevant provincial policies in force where their university is located.

The notice further states that HKMT residents may apply for teacher qualification to teach in kindergartens, primary, junior and high schools and secondary vocational schools, or internship instructor certificates to work in secondary vocational schools. Applications for the March 2019 primary and secondary teacher certification exams opened on January 15. Interested HKMT candidates can find more information and apply for the exams through the National Education Examinations Authority ( and apply for a certificate through the China Teacher Certification website (